MiFi Antenna Mount for RV 4″ x 4″ Bumper
This mount design is for any RV with a 4-inch square rear bumper. The mount allows for easy 360-degree rotation to obtain the strongest signal. The antenna and mast may be easily removed for storage during an electrical storm or for travel. A coax cable runs down the mast and through the window into the RV. A large loop in the cable will allow quick storage under the RV during an electrical storm. (Click on photos for enlarged view.)
PVC MAST: 10 foot long, 1 1/2 inch SCHD80 PVC pipe from local hardware or plumbing supply store. This must be SCHD80 to fit the mount. Note the slit in mast bottom to allow it to close on the mount post.
MUFFLER CLAMP: Auto Supply Store, 1 7/8 inch width with 3/8-16 U bolt
KNOB: Must fit the muffler clamp
2 5/32 dia., 3/8-16 thds., Fluted Plastic Knob w/Black Polyethylene Thru Hole Brass Insert (1 Each)
NYLOC NUT: 3/8-16 to fit muffler clamp
U-BOLT: 4-inch inside width with 5-inch long arms (National Mfg. No. N222-398)
National Mfg Co 3/8 X 4 X 5 Sq U-Bolt N222-398 U Bolts
MOUNT PLATE AND MOUNT POST:
Click on the following links to view drawings. Print the drawings and take them to your local, friendly welder. Don’t forget coffee and donuts.
1) The PVC pipe is held to tight tolerances on the outside diameter but not the inside diameter. You may have to increase the inside diameter of the PVC pipe with a rasp or half round file. Take it easy; don’t go too big.
2) The weld may interfere with the smooth, easy rotation of the antenna. Use a file to chamfer the PVC pipe and smooth the weld.
3) If you loosen the muffler clamp knob just enough to turn the antenna, then the clamp won’t slide down.
4) Use lock washers, locktite, and/or nyloc nuts on the U-bolt or you will lose it on the highway.
5) Shop through RVSue’s Amazon links when possible to reward her for the wonderful blog.
— Mick Kent, January 2013